Friday, February 03, 2006

O RLY? YA RLY


The O RLY owls have been around internet message boards for a while now, and they always make me laugh. I've mentioned it to people in RL (real life) and no one I know has even heard of it! So I'm sharing.

Here's a description of the O RLY phenomenon, as written by urbandictionary.com:
O rly
Internet slang, short for "Oh, really?". Used in the following ways; often sarcastic:

1. In response to someone who has said/pointed out something very obvious

2. In response to someone who has insulted you or has aggressively disagreed with you

3. In response to a boring, nerdy comment you don't understand or care about (i.e. a piece of trivia)

4. In response to a comment that seems hard to believe or a lie

Occasionally some will respond to an "O rly?" comment with "ya rly" or "rly", but this is lame and not recommended (I disagree).

1. A: Dude! Did you see this? There's an eye on the pyramid on the back of all these dollar bills!

B: O rly?

2. A: Yes, but did you all know that the word "catapult" is of Hungarian and French origin and roughly translates to blah blah blah......

B: o rly?

Ya rly
One of the possible answers to o rly. Internet slang, means "yeah, really."
"I know an o rly owl."
"O rly?"
"Ya rly."

Often a response to the question o rly. Meaning, Oh really? To which one would respond, Yeah, really.

O RLY?

YA RLY

Repeat.

Of course there are many bored photoshop experts who have taken the original O RLY owl and ran with the concept.


A well placed O RLY owl in a message board thread can really make me laugh. A lot of people think the original O RLY owl is jusy plain cute, and photoshopped him into some funny scenarios.


You can find a lot more owls at this site.


A few of my favorites:
The Spanish O RLY owl

And the accusatory owl: I See What You Did There!





Not an owl but still funny


Maybe you're someone in my real life who knows the O RLY owls but were afraid to speak up? Fear of being mocked? Maybe tried to sneak in a "YA RLY" when someone in RL said, "Oh really?", but with no recognition? Or maybe it's just me, sitting at my computer tee-heeing whenever I see the owls. If you need more owls to hoot at (HA!), check Year of the Owl here.

No comments: