Sunday, September 13, 2009

A detour to Nepal before Egypt?

Somehow the UN (United Nations) found me and now I am being interviewed for a mission in Nepal. Actually, I think they first heard about me via UNICEF, as I signed up for volunteerism a while back.

Our first contact was via a phone call from Bonn, Germany. The woman who called me had a high pitched voice, sounded Asian, and announced she was calling from the UN. My first reaction was, "yeah, RIGHT!" Thankfully that was silent. I swore it was a prank call. We initially discussed a six month mission in Kabul, Afghanistan. I said I was interested, and they emailed the details. It included information about hardship in relation to living conditions, and hazard pay would be added to the normal pay.

I'd been trying to find a job in Cairo with the UN or one of its organizations. I applied for a campaign with the WHO (World Health Organization) a while back but haven't heard anything to date.

I briefly considered the Kabul post so I could get in with the UN and be available for Egypt assignments. After researching the current security status of Kabul and talking it over with Ahmed, I declined further interest.

The same lady in Bonn called me in July about another mission that fit my profile. This one is in Kathmandu, Nepal. I am qualified for the job in many ways, but I'm unsure if I'm what they're looking for. Nepal has undergone a change in government in the past few years. The UN is there for a peace keeping mission, but there hasn't been much unrest or violence recently. There was a protest a few days ago, but it seemed contained. I indicated my availability and interest, and heard nothing until a week ago. I was contacted by the mission in Nepal, and after negotiating the time difference, I will be interview on the phone tomorrow night.

The mission in Nepal is short term - only three months. I am in the middle of handling my father's estate and just started a new job, so it will be tricky. But if offered, I think it'll be an opportunity I can't pass up.

No comments: