Monday, April 25, 2005

Reliability in the Face of Uncertainty - My Sneakers

I wake up and I know my running shoes will be there. They wait for me and they're never far. Lately they are the only true certainty in my life.

They wait for me to eat some cottage cheese and maybe take a shower. They wait until I decide what t-shirt to wear and sometimes they even wait for me to answer an email or two. If I take too long, they get impatient and a little antsy, and they call out to my feet, making them tingle and making me want to grab some Thorlos and get the hell out and go to the gym, or to the track.

But they are always there. They support me in whatever I need to do on any given day. On rare occasions, sometimes they just come with me to the store and that is all. But they whisper to me that if I would like to run, I may, and they will be there.

We have plans, these shoes and I. Not to schlep comfortably through a shopping mall, not to explore that long ass Vegas strip and certainly not to meander through interesting wine tastings with whomever the current object of desire may be. No, no, no.

We are about getting shit done. About stretching the hamstrings, bicycling, walking and jogging the track, squatting a decent amount of weight, getting to the level of fitness I desire and want almost more than anything. My sneaks are my partner in crime, my support, my wake up call, my daily affirmation that I am real, I am here and I must make use of my time. My only true certainty.

No comments: