Thursday, June 23, 2005

Obsession

What does it mean when someone tries to contact you after 6 years of not speaking? When someone dumped you in 1999 but spent the last few years searching for you and asking people to keep an eye on you?

How does it make sense that this person calls you at a parent's house (with whom you no longer live and who went back to her maiden name after he and I broke up) when they're away on vacation and you happen to be there to feed the dog?

Where did I disappear to? He comes to Manchester sometimes and just drives around looking for me, or my old car? Has things to explain to me? Is sorry? Needs to see me?

Of course I was curious.

But I asked if he knew how badly he hurt me. That he is the reason my phone number is non-published. That he is the reason I didn't renew my vanity plates when I bought my new car. I didn't WANT to be found. I didn't want this type of phone call.

He said he knew. And that even if I didn't want to see him, at least he knew I was okay.

I see his cousin at the gym a few times a week. He pretends not to know anything. I told him yesterday that my ex called me. He told me that my ex and I will be together, because we love each other. He said he wants me in the family. And if he sees a guy looking at me, he will tell him to stay away.

I told him that my ex never loved me. Because if he did, he wouldn't have hurt me so badly. He never loved me. If he had, I would not have spent years trying to repair my broken and cold heart. And just when I am ready to love again, he is back on the scene? No. I've moved on. I'm ready for the next stage in my life. And he has no place in it.

No comments: