Monday, September 05, 2005

Do I LOOK like a college whore?

The law student hinted he would like to date exclusively. I don't think so.

He's not exactly knocking my socks off. Sometimes when he talks, I find myself tuning him out. That can't be good. He invited me to his parent’s house on the Cape this weekend (they live in NY). It sounded cool, I thought we could go for the day, walk on the beach, cook dinner, relax by the fireplace. Then he mentioned his parents will BE there. UH… fourth date to meet the parents? I don’t think so. I found out later that his brothers were bringing their girlfriends with them, so maybe he just wanted to show up with someone.

It seems like meeting the family means nothing these days. Why go through the stress of meeting someone’s parents, siblings, extended family and family friends, just to do it and have it not mean something bigger? Back in the day, when you brought someone home, it was because you thought a lot of them, and maybe were thinking of taking things to the next level. Not “Hey, come over and be charming and personable and make a good impression just for the heck of it”!

But that’s not what turned me off. Things got a little creepy Saturday night. We went to Unwined, had delicious brie and their new cheese fondue. I had two glasses of wine, I think he had three. Two really is my max, I start to feel pretty tipsy and it's not too far from very tipsy-pretty drunk. I drink until I feel tipsy, then I'm done. I don't think stumbling and slurring are cute, and I tend to get the spins and sometimes get sick, so it's really useless for me to drink past tipsy.

He asked me at what age I had my first beer. I was honest and told him 23. I've never liked beer, and it was the only beverage at a house party I went to with an ex about seven years ago. Law boy was surprised, and asked me what I like to drink besides wine. For special occasions, I like to drink a Grasshopper, or some variation, maybe without all the cream (then it becomes a Girl Scout Cookie). I mentioned that if I am out dancing, I'll usually have a long island iced tea or a margarita.

After a great meal and some great wine, we headed over to my second favorite date spot, the comedy club. We had some time before the show started, so he asked if I would like a drink. I said no. He asked if I was sure. I said, “Yes, I'm sure, two really is my max”.
He came back with a beer and a drink. I asked him what it was. He said it was a long island iced tea. I told him I hoped he was prepared to drink it, because I wasn’t going to.

He shrugged and said he thought I might take sips on it. I told him, “I give freely of my affection when I want to. You don’t have to get me drunk”.

He said, “I know”. Long pause as I looked anywhere but at him. You know that feeling when you’re on a date and you just want to find an escape route? You go through your options, like calling a cab, wishing you brought running shoes so you could run home, having a friend call you at the venue and make up an emergency… walking out to the smoking patio where wedding guests mingled, search for an attractive male or maybe an old co-worker to get caught up in conversation with and sort of forget to go back inside…
I didn’t do any of those things. I really like the comedy at this place, so I decided to stay and enjoy it, and forget who was sitting next to me.

Maybe HE was too tipsy to realize I wasn’t happy, because he asked me how I thought the relationship was going. I said, “fairly well”. He was surprised. He asked how it could be better. I told him, “I like to have fun. That’s why we’re here. I like to do fun things. I need to have more fun. And THAT,” I pointed at the drink, “was a mistake”.

He said he knew. I asked him how he thought things were going. He said he really liked me a lot and wanted to learn more about me and see where it could go. He also said that he was very attracted to me, and I admitted that we had a physical attraction. I thought to myself that for me, that may be all it is.

Law boy mentioned on our last date that the typical amount of time to have sex with a new person is within 3 dates. I asked if the girls he dated slept with him within 3 dates, he said yes. I told him he must date some loose women.

He seems to be operating on a high school level with women. He tells me when it's "normal" to have sex, then tries to get me drunk? Anyone who has seriously dated me knows that when I am ready for sex, I'm more than ready, and the last thing I need is coaching or a drink to loosen me up.

I am considering making law boy a project. I will definitely date people as they come up, and I may continue to see law boy - just never have sex with him. I wonder how long it would take him to give up? I'll probably get annoyed with him way before he decides he's had enough, but it might be a good experiment. I wonder if he'll become more of a jerk as he realizes he's never going to get any. Maybe he'll start to beg or buy me jewelry. It might be interesting. I'm kind of bored, nothing much else going on in my love life, so it could be a good project until I meet someone decent.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Yep, I've been over there a few times for dinner/dvd's/wine.

Some of my older male friends are telling me to give him another chance, that it was a bonehead move. I've sinced talked to him, and he said it wasn't his intention to get me drunk, he just buys drinks when he's out with friends... etc.

I asked him on our 2nd date if he was looking for a friend with benefits, or a relationship, and that I was fine with either, but I needed to know which it would be. He said he wanted a relationship.

I'm gonna let it go, but I'm still skeptical.