Saturday, July 01, 2006

Ok, that was fun.

I had a lot of fun at the Uptown! I'm a little surprised! I don't think I even saw any bikers, but there was a hand written sign as we walked in welcoming them. I'm still glad I wore my "biker chick" outfit.

"Don't mess with me, I'm a biker chick. Grrr."


"Okay, I'm not a biker chick, but you can buy me a drink!"


We went upstairs and I was pleasantly surprised that they still played some hip hop from when I was in the prime of my clubbing days. Man, some of those songs make it impossible to stand still. DMX's Up in Here, Monifa's Touch It, J. Lo and Ja Rule's I'm real. And some kind of new, like Lil Kim's Put Your Lighters Up and some really old mainstream reggae. It felt really good to shake my ass a little and FEEL that music, the music that beats within me. Some people don't get or like hip hop, and that's cool. I can't FEEL rock, or alternative music. I FEEL a bass rhythm inside me and it makes me move involuntarily. It feels good and natural to me. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy being completely free and single and not have to worry about anyone else there. I could do my thing and be 100% me.

We didn't realize that in addition to Kristi's going away party, it was also Kristi's birthday. A few of her friends came and danced and sang karaoke.

KAP, PAL1 and I alternated between the DJ dancing upstairs with the live band Toast downstairs. I actually liked them quite a bit. The did some Phish covers but also have their own material. Back upstairs, we were all sitting at a table, and one of the cute shot girls came over. She told me someone bought me TWO shots. As if I'm going to down two shots. I had one drink all night and that was going to be it. I gave them to PAL1 and KAP, asked the girl who bought them, and went over to thank him.

Damien is a 23 year old from Weare. Where? Yeah, Weare. He said he liked my smile and that I seemed cool. I had to break it to young Damien how old I am. He was a little taken aback. Then he said his stepmom is 28. Great.

I told Damien that I'm at a place in my life where I'm looking for something serious and long term. He pulled back and said, "Me too!" Ha ha. Weren't we all back then? He probably won't know until he's 31 what the difference actually is.

We all gave Kristi big hugs when she and her man left. They have a lot more packing to do before they leave for Indiana. We'll miss her, but she seems very happy with him. Follow your heart, girl.

Next Friday looks like outdoor drinks and dancing to our favorite local band, The Rusty Cadillacs, at Jillian's. Come out, should be a good time!

This Sunday (July 2), our friend Adam will be the DJ on Rock 101 WGIR from 10 am - 3 pm. Give him a call and show your support!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Thank you Andy. I was pretty close to conveying the "sex on a stick" image you say I have. It felt good to be out dancing and enjoying myself.

I guess all I was missing was my Andy, whoops I mean "Danny", as in John Travolta. Greased Lightning!