Monday, June 26, 2006

Recent Date Results

Sunday I met David from the seacoast. We met at this little place in Exeter called Loaf and Ladle, which I highly recommend. The Iberian chicken stew was to die for. David and I had very little to no chemistry, but later, as we walked along the Exeter River, we found we had some things in common, and I realized that David and I could be true friends someday. I think he also picked up that vibe, and he even called me on my new cell phone (yes, you read that right) as I drove home to tell me he thought we met for a reason, but more on a friendly term than romantic. So that was cool.

Tonight I went out with John again. The engineering co-founder dude. I met him at the company so he could show me his machine (ha ha). I wasn't very interested, but it's partially his invention, he has patents on a some stuff, and they make a profit. He showed me "geek heaven", the R & D center of his company, and he was pretty excited. He had a nice gift for me in his office, a bottle of Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz, vintage 2002.

We walked next door to the old Hannah Jack Tavern, which is now a Common Man restaurant. I had a nice meal. He chose the wine to complement my food, and we talked more about this and that. One thing John is very good at is planning dates. He asked me if I was free this weekend, because he would like to take me to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and then to this restaurant called Elephant Walk. Supposedly, it's one of Ben Affleck's favorite Boston restaurants. But he said he chose it because it is Cambodian/French cuisine and I like to try new ethnic foods. Hallelujah. Someone gets it.

He asked me specific questions about kids, what I wanted for my future, etc. I told him I didn't want kids, I pictured a marriage with love, devotion, and also throwing parties and going on vacations, and enjoying each other. He seemed relieved and told me it sounded perfect, and by the way, he had a vasectomy. I gave him the thumbs up as I poked through my chicken and portabella mushroom salad. So at least we wanted the same thing. However. During dinner, John got comfortable, took my foot under the table, started massaging it, and told me something fairly disturbing. It was kind of a deal breaker. The kind that made me say in my mind, "Well, that's not surprising (due to my dating experience). Maybe you should stop touching me now."

So we walked back to my car, I got my bottle of wine that I will share with another man sometime down the road, came home and replied to more emails from the personals website I am now on. I'm just not in the mood to waste time. Would I love to go to the MFA this weekend? Yes. Would I love to try this restaurant in Boston? Absolutely. Is it worth me spending the day with someone I don't want a future with? Definitely not.

I'm getting up early tomorrow for a run. I'm looking forward to that much more than anything else right now. But the weekend is still far away!

Updates to follow as warranted.

1 comment:

Becky said...

A. I wouldn't know
B. What's wrong with Republicans? I'm one!
C. See above

He does have kids, which I knew about. It's funny you mentioned the police record, we actually discussed that the other night. He was arrested on Myrtle Beach years ago for drinking a beer. But that's not the deal breaker.

And oh, it is something that has been done before.