Thursday, June 15, 2006

Movie Recommendation

You all know I don't normally recommend films. I saw one tonight that impressed me, and I would highly recommend it to anyone I know.

The film is called Shopgirl. It stars Claire Danes and Steve Martin. It's based on a novella that Steve Martin himself wrote.

I just read a review of this film, and I'm shocked that the following parallel was made:

"Edward Hopper was the great painter of urban loneliness. Shopgirl had two perfectly composed and lit shots that could pass for Hopper paintings -- the one where we first see Mirabelle behind the glove counter at Saks, and the one where she solves the problem of how exactly to cross the intimacy threshold with Ray for the first time. Both involve the display of exquisite merchandise to customers who have excellent taste but don't quite appreciate the full value of what's being offered."

In my Represent blog post, I posted an Edward Hopper artwork. I captioned it "alone and contemplative". I've felt a connection to Hopper's work since high school, and I am amazed that someone drew a comparison to this film, which I enjoyed so much, with an artist with whom I feel.

I think both men and women who have been in relationships will see the value in the story. Maybe watch it with the one you're with, or grab some ice cream and watch it alone until the tears flow, which is what I did, minus the ice cream. My appetite is coming back, but I'd still like to fit into those size 7 jeans.

No comments: